Saturday, April 25, 2009

Because I know you want to know :)

As spring [slowly] arrives, I am trying to do little projects around the house to update decor and become more organized. It seems we will be living in this house for at least another year [or 12] so by making inexpensive little changes, I feel like it is more 'home' and not just the house we live in for now. It gets a little depressing having no money to buy all new furniture & decor and since we are renting, we can't really do a lot. Our landlords are great, and if we want to paint, they don't mind as long as we paint over it when we move out, but thats a lot of work and money to spend on something that won't last!

Here is a little peak at some of the projects I've been doing so far :)







As much as I LOVE wood paneling, trying to hide it has been a top priority! We have a ridiculous amount of books and movies and figured this tall shelf would serve the purpose of housing stuff and [sort of] hiding the paneling! [Daniel's spider plant needed a home, too. He's had it since before we started dating which was 7 years ago..and I haven't killed it yet!!]



My jewelry has been taking over our dresser for the past 4 1/2 years, always getting tangled and falling behind the dresser. We had some hooks for a different project and I found this wooden dowel in a box of old stuff and it was the perfect fit! Now I can display my 'pretties' [as Bella calls them] and have easy access without worrying about breaking them!



I love our sea shell toilet seat! [notice: the organized bin of bath time supplies that used to be thrown on the floor under the sink..]



I needed something to go above the toilet and had in mind what I wanted. Two years ago at our ladies gift exchange at church, my friend Whitney brought this 'Dance like no one is watching..' framed quote and I ended up with it - not even planned - and it's perfect! My collection of shells from childhood beach vacations, a bottle of sand from a friend's trip to Hawaii, coral from Florida from my grandparents and the knot, 'In every home where I am found, love and happiness will abound,' from Daniel's aunt, bring good memories and complete our ocean theme.



I wanted gray [like the ocean sky] and Daniel loves bright colors, so we got a great compromise in this curtain! :)



Our bathroom was a lovely shade of very questionable lemon meringue pie with pepto bismol pink showing through the chipped edges. As pretty as that sounds, it was getting rather..nauseating. So I sprung for a can of a soothing powdery blueish-gray to match our towels & ocean theme. We got a new shower curtain and Rachael helped with the art work for the wall. Some craft paint, sponge brushes and $6 for 3 canvases really brightened up the empty wall space!



This nightstand has been redwhiteandblue probably since I was in 4th grade. I decided it was finally time to 'grow it up' a little and found this great design in a magazine! I borrowed the brown base coat from Sarah and used craft paints I already had from previous projects to paint the design!


My next projects will be:

getting our garden in 'growing' order [yay for no Fatty Fatty Kitty to poop on our flowers!]
re-oganizing the kitchen
re-organizing our closets
re-organizing Tobias & BellaBabe's closets [started, need to finish]
paint Tobias' dresser to match his room
build 'wrap around' shelf in Tobias' closet
make slip cover[s] for couch[es] & throw pillows
hang photos in hallway [again - I moved them and am moving them back]
paint over hunting dog/pheasant wall paper in dining room [must get landlords approval..]





2 comments:

  1. I love what you did with your nightstand! It's so cute! Also, I never even notice the paneling, although the wallpaper is a different story... :0). Nice job with all your spring cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Averly calls them "pretties" too!!!!

    btw, i love your necklaces!

    ReplyDelete